Why study this course?
Geography is about everything in the world around you so it is one of the most important subjects!!! It provides a good all-round academic education, and prepares you with transferable skills for the workplace. If you watch the news all the topics will be covered in your lessons including the weather at the end!!
What will I learn?
You will study the AQA geography course which covers the following important skills:–
- Numeracy and literacy skills.
- Problem solving.
- Computer literacy.
- Spatial, environmental and social awareness.
- Team work.
- Enquiry skills.
- Fieldwork skills.
How will I be assessed?
At the end of Year 11 there will be three exams – 100% terminal exam.
1) Living with the physical environment:
– natural hazards, climate change, ecosystems, UK landscapes and coasts and rivers.
2) Challenges in the human environment:
– urban issues, economic issues and resource management.
3) Geographical applications
– issues evaluation, fieldwork skills and geographical skills.
Where can this course lead to after Key Stage 4?
Geography is an excellent course for a general academic education about the world around you and is a valuable GCSE no matter what career direction you decide upon. Geography GCSE is a good foundation for A-level Geography and also many other A-levels.
Geography also provides a good foundation to the world of work:
Distribution, Surveying, Building, Teaching, Agriculture, Landscape and Forestry Management, Business, Travel and Tourism/Leisure and Recreation, Planning, Urban Disaster Management and many more.
To find out more information:
Speak to your Geography teacher or Ms Spargo, Head of Humanities