Why study this course?
If you love Music and you (ideally) can play an instrument or sing then this course will suit you. Through the study of an eclectic range of music you will develop as a musician.
What topics/skills will I learn?
Music GCSE gives students opportunities to study performance, composition and to develop their knowledge and understanding of music from around the world.
There are three units:
- Performance:- One solo and one ensemble.
- Composition:- Two contrasting works.
- Listening and appraising: -Four different areas-
- Musical Forms and devices (Set Work 1 – Eine Kleine Nachtmusik by Mozart)
- Musical for Ensemble (Musical Theatre, Jazz Music)
- Film Music
- Popular Music (Set work 2 – Since you’ve been gone by Rainbow)
How will I be assessed?
Music GCSE is assessed in three areas:-
- Two performances 30%
- Two compositions 30%
- A written, listening examination 40%
Where can this course lead to after Key Stage 4?
This course is ideally suitable for further study at A-level or other more vocational studies. At Wreake Valley Academy, we offer:-
- Music A-level.
- Performing Arts A-level.
Both of these courses are a natural progression from GCSE.
Students who have completed this course have progressed onto:-
- University to study music.
- University to study music technology.
- Conservatoire to study composition or performance.
- Theatre school.
- Teach music.
To find out more information:
Contact Mr Tim Clamp, Head of Music